Tuesday, July 6, 2010

nursery experience so far

The first two weeks we took Noelle to nursery were great. She didn't cry at all and the leaders said that she did good. Well I guess she just was pretty quiet and observed a lot. Noelle loves to observe others and being around a lot of children is new to her. Well every week since then has been pretty bad. When we try to drop her off she digs her fingers and nails into us and starts crying uncontrollably. Tears start coming from the very beginning and if she gets too worked up she starts to shake. It makes me so sad. We try to leave her in there and not more than a minute later one of the leaders brings her to me. I was hoping they would let her cry a little longer than that but I guess if it's really bad they can't, or something. Is that how it works? I haven't been in nursery for a very long time. Maybe I should ask to be put in. Well this last Sunday was a little bit better. We have Relief Society and Sunday School first so we tried to drop her off but that didn't work. Halfway through Relief Society I asked her if she wanted to go to nursery and she nodded. So we went in and she desperately clung to me and cried when we walked through the doors. But after I was with her for a bit and we sang songs she warmed up to everyone. I was able to leave and got in most of Sunday School. Hopefully this is a good sign that things will get better. I know I just have to be patient. I would love some advice from anyone out there!

2 comments:

Amy Rose said...

Definitely just be patient. :) I think you're on the right track, leave when you think she'll be ok eventually, and stay with her when it seems like she really needs you. That's my advice.

Rachel said...

Emily went to daycare before nursery, so by the time we started taking her to nursery she was a pro. Now she stays home with Dan most days, but sometimes she hates when I have to go to work and she has to stay home.

One thing that has helped as she has gotten older is her learning to say bye to me. If I say good-bye, give her a kiss, and don't get upset--and then she gets to wave bye (and she's started saying it, too) then she is happier.